What will the Property Claims Manager do?
Coterie is evolving its claims experience and we need a Property Claims Manager (100% Remote). You’ll be working closely with our Claims VP and Directors and assisting internal and external stakeholders. If you are a go-getter who has passion for commercial property claims and want to change the insurance industry, we want to talk to you!
- Develop and implement strategy to resolve Commercial Property Claims of differing levels of severity and complexity.
- Investigate claim and review the insureds’ materials, documents, reports etc.
- Identify and assess coverage issues, draft coverage position letters, and retain coverage counsel, when necessary as well as review coverage counsel’s opinion letters and analysis
- Develop and implement strategy relative to coverage issues which correlate with the overall strategy of matters entrusted to the handler’s care
- Analyze coverage and damages for purposes of assessing and recommending reserves
- Maintain a diary of all claims, post reserves in a timely fashion, and expeditiously respond to claims inquiries from insured, counsel, underwriters, brokers, and senior management
- Negotiate resolution of claims
- Maintain vendors list for field investigators, appraiser’s, experts, fraud investigators and CAT alerts.
- Maintain contact and oversight with the TPA claim staff
- Work with underwriting on appetite selection, form development and CAT modelling
- Identify and review of each jurisdiction’s applicable statutes, rules, and case law
- Analyze, and direct risk transfer (Subro), additional insured issues and contractual indemnity issues
- Retain counsel when necessary and direct counsel in accordance with resolution strategy
- Prepare and present written/oral reports to senior management setting forth all issues influencing evaluation and recommending reserves
- Travel to and from locations within the United States to attend mediations, trials, and other proceedings relevant to the resolution of the matter.
Superpowers we are looking for!
- Ten to fifteen (10-15) years of work experience at an insurance company and/or insurance claims loss adjustment service provider managing property claims process supporting commercial accounts.
- Considerable working knowledge of insurance industry and insurance claims operations particularly around commercial property claims, property policy construction, ISO Commercial Property forms, and property insurance coverage evaluation/interpretation
- Proper adjuster licensing in all applicable states.
- Legal concepts and processes knowledge base
- Exceptional communication (written and verbal), influencing, evaluation, negotiating, listening, and interpersonal skills to effectively develop productive working relationships with internal/external peers and other professionals across organizational lines
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Ability to take part in active strategic discussions
- Provide training early career property claims representatives
- Ability to work well independently and in a team environment
- Hands-on experience and strong aptitude with Microsoft Office
- Willing and able to travel 10%
Extras that are awesome but not required!
- AIC and PTC designations a plus
- Supervisory experience a plus
What to expect!
Our hiring process generally consists of 3 phases.
- Phase 1: Qualified candidates will first meet with HR for a phone interview. This discussion is a high-level conversation to understand more about your background and interests and for us to share more about Coterie and the position.
- Phase 2: Selected candidates will then meet our Hiring Manager for the 2nd interview via Teams video. This interview is designed to be more detail oriented and allows you to learn more about the role
- Phase 3: Top candidates will receive an invite for our final interview series via Teams video. This series will include an experiential exercise project (provided in advance), 1:1 interviews with selected team members and a culture focused interview. The final series is roughly 1.5-3 hours in total but can be scheduled over a few days for flexibility.
What’s in it for you!
Coterie has excellent benefits for all full-time employees. We offer:
- Health insurance through Aetna (we pay 100%)
- Formalized, universal mentorship program via Core-Coaching program
- Dental and vision insurance (Guardian) (we pay 100% but there are limits)
- Unlimited PTO. We expect you to take at least 80 hours during the year not including most bank/federal holidays – Christmas Day, New Years Day, Thanksgiving, July 4, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Labor Day. We also encourage the celebration of personal holidays and important family events.
- Basic Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or Health Savings Accounts (HSA) accounts for those using HSA eligible plans.
- Continuing Education Stipend.
- 401K plan (up 4% match with immediate vest)
- Perks/discounts plan access via Access Perks
- 100% Remote
- A culture with a deep belief in intentionality, inclusion, and treating you like the professional you are.
Our HQ is in Blue Ash, Ohio (4455 Carver Woods Dr, Blue Ash, OH 45242), but we operate as a 100% digital business which makes it easy to work remotely as your role allows.
Coterie is a business insurance startup that distributes flexible-term policies on our website and partner platforms. We value integrity, humility, passion, and intelligence. If you want to push yourself, promote social good, and re-shape a $200B+ market, we’re excited to talk to you.