What will our Sr Backend Engineer do?
We are looking for an experienced Backend Engineer to join our team! We’re using modern tech to make it easy for people and businesses to get the insurance coverage they need. You’ll help build and test APIs, rating engines, policy management systems, and more. The insurance industry is known for slow, clunky tools that weren’t built with the user in mind. We’re making them fast and reliable, and we’d love for you to join us.
As a Sr. Backend engineer you will build and write tests for our APIs, rating engines, and other C# code, as well as aid our leads in architectural designs. As you hit the ground running you will be able to develop and document new C# .NET Core APIs and rating engines, as well as refine and improve our existing products. In addition, you also work very closely with our product management team in helping create a development strategy that fits our product roadmaps, as well as be a part of our engineering team interviews.
Superpowers we are looking for!
- Experience building production C# .NET APIs (preferably .NET Core)
- Experience writing tests and an appreciation of the value of well-tested code
- An understanding of architectural design fundamentals
- Experience and interest in mentoring junior engineers
- Experience using Git and Github/Gitlab to collaborate and review code
Extras that are awesome but not required!
- Experience with Microsoft Azure or other cloud platform ( GCP, AWS, etc.)
- Experience working within a micro-services architecture in a containerized (Docker, etc…) environment
- Experience writing documentation
- Startup experience
How We Work:
- BackEnd: C#, .Net Core, .Net 5+
- Database: SQL Server, Cosmos DB
- Infrastructure: Azure
- Remote Tools: Microsoft Teams
- Scrum environment with cross-disciplinary teams (frontend and backend engineers, UI/UX, Product Managers, SDETs)
What to expect!
Our hiring process generally consists of 3 phases.
- Phase 1: Qualified candidates will first meet with HR for a phone interview. This discussion is a high-level conversation to understand more about your background and interests and for us to share more about Coterie and the position.
- Phase 2: Selected candidates will then meet our Director of Engineering for the 2nd interview via video. This interview is designed to be more technically focused and allows you to learn more about the role.
- Phase 3: Top candidates will receive an invite for our final interview series via video. This series will include a 60 minute panel interview with our Engineering team where candidates can choose their own adventure! You will have the choice of a whiteboarding session, live coding session or come prepared to present a preplanned take-home project. Additionally, we will have a 1:1 culture focused interview. The final series is roughly 1.5 hours in length
What’s in it for you!
Coterie has excellent benefits for all full-time employees.
- Health insurance through Aetna (we pay 100%)
- Mentorship and Core-Coaching program
- Dental and vision insurance (Guardian) (we pay 100% but there are limits)
- Unlimited PTO. We expect you to take at least 80 hours during the year not including most bank/federal holidays – Christmas Day, New Years Day, Thanksgiving, July 4, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Labor Day. We also encourage the celebration of personal holidays and important family events.
- Basic Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or Health Savings Accounts (HSA) accounts for those using HSA eligible plans.
- Continuing Education Stipend.
- 401K plan (up to 4% match with immediate vest)
- Perks/discounts plan access via Access Perks
- 100% Remote
- A culture with a deep belief in intentionality, inclusion, and treating you like the professional you are.
Our HQ is in Blue Ash, Ohio (4455 Carver Woods Dr, Blue Ash, OH 45242), but we operate as a 100% digital business which makes it easy to work remotely as your role allows.
Coterie is a business insurance startup that distributes flexible-term policies on our website and partner platforms. We value integrity, humility, passion, and intelligence. If you want to push yourself, promote social good, and re-shape a $200B+ market, we’re excited to talk to you.