The Underwriting Manager will be responsible for developing risk selection practices in an automated underwriting environment (LOB: BOP, Prof. Liability, GL, Worker's comp, Cyber, etc...). You will define class appetite across entire industry spectrums, utilizing unique 3rd party data, in-house analysis, and hyper-portfolio underwriting. This role also offers the chance to work cross-functionally with Technology, insurance product, and our distribution teams to continue Coterie's culture of customer-focused, simple and intuitive insurance solutions.
- This position reports to the VP, Insurance and Risk. You will work closely with the Technology Product and Sales teams to create efficient procedures and processes for new and renewal small commercial business. This includes
renewal workflows, notice requirements, policy cancellations, payment processes, and policy issuance.
- The Insurance Operations Manager will play a key role in helping to ensure that the underwriting processes within Coterie are accurately and efficiently profiling, selecting, and pricing risks. This includes classifying risks, validating 3rd party data sources, and working with the Tech and Data teams to ensure proper downstream reporting.
- You will help organize and curate the Insurance division’s documents to help the rest or our coterie quickly reference underwriting workflow and procedures.
- You will engage with the Customer Advocacy team to answer any direct customer inquiries pertaining to underwriting-related issues. In addition, you may interact with independent agents who have inquiries about new or
existing customer eligibility, endorsements, policy issuance, and billing.
- You have B.S. or B.A. degree in Business, Economics, or Liberal Arts
- You have minimum 7 (seven) years’ experience creating underwriting guidelines, working in the grey-area, and understanding the rules, forms, and industry knowledge of a wide spectrum of segments—including retail, contractors, service industries, professional services, and the gig economy.
- You must be naturally curious to understand risk, experienced to know what details matter, and humble to know when to seek out information from others.
- You’re passionate about small commercial marketplace and innovating simpler ways to service business owners using advanced selection and pricing tools.
- Advanced working knowledge of ISO rules and products, and small commercial products.
- Work experience in a market-facing capacity to support sales and marketing with agents or vendors.
- You have earned the CPCU, ARM, or CIC designations.
- You have Insurtech experience.
Coterie has excellent benefits for all full-time employees. Through our partner Insperity, we offer:
- Health insurance through United Healthcare (UHC) (we pay 90%)
- Dental (UHC) and vision insurance (VSP) (we pay 100% but there are limits)
- Unlimited PTO. We expect you to take at least 80 hours during the year not including most bank/federal holidays - Christmas Day, New Years Day, Thanksgiving, July 4, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Labor Day. We also encourage the celebration of personal holidays and important family events.
- Basic Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Continuing Education Stipend
- 100% Remote
- A culture with a deep belief in Intentionality, Inclusion, and treating you like the professional you are.
Our HQ is in Montgomery, Ohio (7817 Cooper Rd. Suite B Cincinnati, OH 45242), but we operate as a 100% digital business which makes it easy to work remotely as your role allows.
Coterie is on a mission to make business insurance easy. By integrating insurance into the places they already are, Coterie protects businesses and operators with just a click. Its technology-based approach to business insurance allows for data-driven automation that provides accurate coverage without the hassle.