What will the Principal Data Scientist do?
Data is the foundation of what we do. It’s what made insurance one of the first industries to make computers a standard in doing business. But it’s time to help our industry make a leap, and to do that we need more data and new data from all various sources to both feed into our host of applications and drive our internal decision making. It’s this kind of data that will allow us to create newer and more equitable risk metrics to eventually take insurance away from its antiquated proxies for risk and into something more accurate, and more human. The Principal Data Scientist will lead the team that turns insights into action, automates and optimizes processes and changes the commercial insurance industry forever.
- Lead a team of Data Scientists and Data Analysts in model development and deployment
- Craft insights to identify the “So What” of internal and third-party data and drive toward
- Support Subject Matter Experts in interpretation of model output and execution
- Help in building Coterie’s industry-first two question quote-to-bind solution using data
- Vet and onboard external data sources
- Represent Coterie in thought leadership and norm breaking
- Leverage machine learning to optimize insurance risk and revenue
Superpowers we are looking for!
- A bachelor’s degree in analytics, math, data science, actuarial science, or related field
- Proficient with SQL and Python
- Willingness to think both critically and creatively
- Experience leading a team of data scientists
- Background in risk and probability modeling
Extras that are awesome but not required!
- Experience with Databricks, Snowflake or Apache Spark
- Intimate knowledge of commercial insurance
- Advanced (graduate or PhD) degree in above fields
What to expect!
Our hiring process generally consists of 3 phases.
- Phase 1: Qualified candidates will first meet with HR for a phone interview. This discussion is a high-level conversation to understand more about your background and interests and for us to share more about Coterie and the position.
- Phase 2: Selected candidates will then meet our Hiring Manager for the 2nd interview via Teams video. This interview is designed to be more detail oriented and allows you to learn more about the role
- Phase 3: Top candidates will receive an invite for our final interview series via Teams video. This series will include an experimental exercise project (provided in advance), 1:1 interviews with selected team members and a culture focused interview. The final series is roughly 1.5-3 hours in total but can be scheduled over a few days for flexibility.
What’s in it for you!
Coterie has excellent benefits for all full-time employees. We offer:
- Health insurance through Aetna (we pay 100%)
- Formalized, universal mentorship program via Core-Coaching program
- Dental and vision insurance (Guardian) (we pay 100% but there are limits)
- Unlimited PTO. We expect you to take at least 80 hours during the year not including most bank/federal holidays – Christmas Day, New Years Day, Thanksgiving, July 4, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Labor Day. We also encourage the celebration of personal holidays and important family events.
- Basic Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or Health Savings Accounts (HSA) accounts for those using HSA eligible plans.
- Continuing Education Stipend.
- 401K plan (up 4% match with immediate vest)
- Perks/discounts plan access via Access Perks
- 100% Remote
- A culture with a deep belief in intentionality, inclusion, and treating you like the professional you are.
Our HQ is in Blue Ash, Ohio (4455 Carver Woods Dr, Blue Ash, OH 45242), but we operate as a 100% digital business which makes it easy to work remotely as your role allows.
Coterie is a business insurance startup that distributes flexible-term policies on our website and partner platforms. We value integrity, humility, passion, and intelligence. If you want to push yourself, promote social good, and re-shape a $200B+ market, we’re excited to talk to you.